Second Thief, Best Thief – An Old Jersey City Saying
The Jersey City Waterfront once was covered with warehouses and piers. Adjacent to these were miles of railroad yards dotted with innumerable sheds and small buildings for use as storage and as workshops for mechanics, machinists, and welders.
During the depression, children from impoverished families would climb onto the roofs of the outlying structures, both to hide and to gain a view of the surrounding area. From up there, they'd watch for workers stealing from the docks, the trains, or the warehouses. The initial crooks would sneak off into the weeds to hide the swag with the idea of retrieving it at the end of the shift. Seeing opportunity made available, the kids would wait a bit for the situation to cool. Then, they'd climb down, grab the goods, and make a getaway through the vacant lots.
Practitioners coined the saying "second thief, best thief" to describe this method of survival.
- Anthony Olszewski on Union Terminal Cold Storage lobsters catch Pudge
- Union Terminal Cold Storage lobsters catch Pudge | Second Thief, Best Thief - Jersey City Short Stories by Anthony Olszewski on Barney’s
- Steve on A Place Like This
- An attempt to murder all five heads of the New York Families | Second Thief, Best Thief - Jersey City Short Stories by Anthony Olszewski on The Malcontent
- Stepjac345 on “Our Computers Don’t Make Mistakes.”
- “Our Computers Don’t Make Mistakes.” (47)
- The crew at Hudson Refrigeration warehouse thought of theft… (43)
- Martin Casella: Don’t you know who I am? (28)
- An attempt to murder all five heads of the New York Families (25)
- Rape, Murder and Kidnapping (17)
- When Workman shot “Dutch” Schultz in Newark (12)
- The Malcontent (11)
- Aniello Dellacroce was a financial wizard (8)
- The father of “Crazy” Joe Gallo was in the… (8)
- The Mind Reader (7)
Monthly Archives: May 2012
Did you ever see one of those cartoons where a tiny devil is talking in one ear and an angel in the other? That actually happened to me — when I was interviewed by Gay City News. Back when James … Continue reading
The Brian Jonestown Massacre at Emo’s East, 2012 Austin PsychfestDownload 10 minute MP3 Audio. Anthony Olszewski http://UrbanTimes.com Walking through the courtyard at the 2012 Austin Psych Fest early Sunday afternoon, I noticed Anton Newcombe standing off to the right, near … Continue reading